21/07/2012 - 12/08/2012
an open or unoccupied space between bodies or things
an interruption of continuity
n. pl. va·can·cies
1. The condition of being vacant or unoccupied.
2. An empty or unoccupied space.
3. A position, office, or place of accommodation that is unfilled or unoccupied.
4. Emptiness of mind; inanity.
5. A crystal defect caused by the absence of an atom, ion, or molecule in a crystal lattice.
6. Archaic A period of leisure; idleness.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.